Photo courtesy of FunkBrothers
Upper New Square was the sixth one created in Savannah and the last in James Edward Oglethorpe's original plan. Just nine years after the establishment of Savannah, the Upper New Square & surrounding ward were added to Savannah's landscape and it remains until this day -- however, the name didn't stick. This square was renamed Oglethorpe Square as an acknowledgement to Georgia's founding father.
Savannah's largest tribute to Oglethorpe isn't in this square, though. Only grass fills its center while the towering nine foot General Oglethorpe bronze statue looms over the center of Chippewa Square.
One of the crown jewels of Savannah's preservation movement -- The Owens Thomas House -- faces the square. There are many interesting features about the Owens-Thomas House. It is one of just three homes in Savannah designed by William Jay. Built in 1819, it was one of the first homes in the United States to have running water. Many tourists with an appreciation for architectural history recommend The Owens-Thomas House to be the first stop of any tour of historic homes in Savannah.
Savannah's first six squares (Johnson, Wright, Ellis, Telfair, Reynolds & Oglethorpe) would stand alone for almost fifty years until Savannah would erect more squares in the 1790s.